Our History



Fourteen women established the Sutter Creek Woman's Club in 1909 as an "Improvement Club" for the town of Sutter Creek. The purpose of the new club was to "improve the cemetery, schoolyard and street and beautify the town in general." Thus began the first woman's club in Sutter Creek.

houseflowers

Through the years, our purpose has expanded to include social, educational, civic and philanthropic endeavors within Amador County. The spirit in which our club was founded, however, remains the same.

As our first secretary, Miss Lena B. Soracco, recorded at the time: "Each individual seemed to realize her personal responsibility as a member of such an organization. Sincerity and determination marked the spirit of the discussions."

A constitution and by-laws were adopted and a slate of officers elected with Mrs. C. Jarvis, one of the first organizers, made president. The club was to meet every second and fourth Tuesday of the month. A little later, one of these monthly meetings was set aside to be social, the business part to be left to the discretion of the president. So it came about that the club's purpose was enlarged to include socialization.

The first donation of $75 was given to furnish Mr. Ball's newly organized gym club. The money came from a reception given for the Lodi Improvement Club. 1910 was a year of improving the community in small and large ways -- the sidewalk in front of Mr. Sickes' residence was fixed; the unsightly rubbish at the top of Sutter Hill was removed and the rubbish was cleared on Main Street for the July 4th parade; an "open pipe in front of Mrs. Tucker's residence" was brought to the attention of the authorities to abate the nuisance; trustees of the cemetery were pressed to improve the cemetery with a new fence and archway.

night shot

The largest effort went into campaigning for a county high school. The club distributed petitions favoring such a school to towns in the county and this helped to persuade the supervisors to put it to a vote on November 8, 1910. Consequently, the approved high school cornerstone was laid in March 1913, and the club was made responsible for its dedication.

To raise money for all their social, civic and philanthropic work, the women held candy sales, movie picture shows, dances, suppers and fairs. Thus, they were able to give $50 for electroliers for Main Street, to lend $100 at 6% interest to the new high school, and not forgetting the cemetery, to bear the cost of keeping it clean and to provide new headstones for the soldiers' graves.

In October 1916, the club's name was officially changed to The Woman's Club of Sutter Creek. The meetings had slowly assumed a structure which was to be the format with few changes up to the present.

In 1959, the club celebrated its 50th anniversary with 52 members and guests present. They were still interested in "improving" and "beautifying" Sutter Creek. As they had in 1914, they went on record again letting the City Council know they opposed the use of trailers or trailer courts as residences within the city limits; they demanded, and were granted, the removal of an objectionable sign on the City's parkway.

At the same anniversary festivities, Mrs. Gertrude Clark said, "If you believe in a purpose and fight for it, you will succeed."

It was in 1976 that the Woman's Club began what was to be its most ambitious undertaking since the Club's inception. It also proved to be the lengthiest! This was the restoration and preservation of the old Sutter Creek Grammar School, a project dear to the hearts of many members who had spent their early years in the schoolhouse. The raising of donations and physical renovation took 10 years with the final dedication taking place on August 9, 1986.

The Sutter Creek Woman's Club has constantly donated to worthwhile groups for various needs and projects. 2006-2007 was no different with the Club giving back to the community in many ways -- food donations for the Christmas Committee, holiday gifts for children, reception and tea for volunteers of Amador County libraries, annual Card and Tea Party fundraiser, three scholarships to Amador High School graduates, local philanthropy donations totaling $2,200 and donations to "Pennies for Pines."

If you are interested in joining our Club, membership is open to all Amador County women and, in addition to supporting social, educational, civic and philanthropic endeavors in Amador County, we know you will enjoy the other women of our Club and learning more about current issues affecting our community.

[Back to Previous Page]

[TOP]